Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best Whitetail Outfitter experience >

Best Whitetail Outfitter experience

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Whitetail Outfitter experience

Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Spike

Default Best Whitetail Outfitter experience

Hello all. This is my first post. Really enjoy lurking and reading what everyone has to say. I recently got engaged and I am looking for a great, trustworthy outfitter to have my bachelor party. Not looking to get wild and drunk. Just want a shot at mature whitetails.
We have booked an early deposit with Kansas Big Buck Outfitters but have recently heard really bad reviews on them and it has myself and my buddies a little concerned. Does anyone have past experiences with Kansas Big Buck Outfitters? Does anyone have any other suggestions on a great outfitter? Preferably would like to hunt Kansas, but would love to hear of any other places you have had a great experience with. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Spike

I have not gone on a guided white tail hunt but I have a family ranch in Nebraska on the north platt with good white tail deer hunting, good turkey hunting, and world class waterfowl hunting. We can have our limits maxed duck/goose wise frequently within 30 minutes of shooting time. For white tail deer hunts I can't recommend a good outfitter but I do think you will have a blast! You could do a self guided hunt if you have the time to research etc which are always fun. Went on a antelope hunt two years ago, even though we left empty handed it was still a great hunt.

I just did some research on them, the firs thing that caught my eye is the lodging is a house in town or a motel which means you will be driving each morning to the hunting grounds so you won't be in deep wilderness. You won't be spending time with your guide, i.e. like around the camp fire or have much connection besides during hunting hours. This is good if you want to go out in town with your buddies, not sure if you are looking for a trip that you will have town dining/partying or a real wilderness/hunting experience. (not sure how big of a town its located in). I did a quick search on reviews and saw two bad reviews right away, what caught my eye is that they were more about the operations being run and not that they didn't see any animals etc which is concerning. I think if you already did the deposit it may be worth still going as they seem like they do run a decent operation as they had photos of some nice bucks but it appears they have had a couple times were they goofed up.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Spike

I'm an outfitter in Illinois. For a bachelor party I would be asking several questions of your chosen outfitter. A few things I would ask would be where is base camp located like mentioned above. You more than likely will have to decide if you'd prefer a hotel where you guys could meet up with locals and have a few drinks or if you'd prefer to stay with your buddies in camp, and hang out with the other hunters.
A lot of outfitters hunt on leases with farms that are separated, if you're looking to interact with your buddies via text message you might want to be near each other, all a matter of preference and how it will effect your overall experience.

Kansas has some great outfitters, I would call references and your outfitter should refund your initial deposit if you choose to go elsewhere or at least offer it for hunts in the future. Maybe call him back and ask him about a few of these things I mentioned.

Good luck with the hunt, and the marriage!!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default Strut n rut outfitters

Does anyone know anything about strut n rut outfitters in ohio?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have done many trips and have been pretty lucky...only one small issue but that's another story. I do not think I would ever book with any guide that has had multiple complaints. It would not be unusual for a guide to get a complaint because many hunters on their first trip really have no idea what to expect and some don't know how to act. In turn they list a complaint about there guide and /or service. Don't be afraid to ask him about the complaint get his side. If it sounds fishy move on. If that service has multiple complaints...move on.
What you are trying to do is difficult at best. It s your first trip and in my opinion you should be going with someone who has experience with trips. Also going somewhere that is recommended by someone.
I hate to be the "Debbie downer " here but I think you are making a mistake. Did you meet this guide at a show and speak with him at least or was this done over the phone? Face to face gets you a real feel for things. Here is an example that just happen to me last week:
Went to show, met a guide who seemed very forth coming. We spoke about the lack of deer in his area in term of volume but size and racks were impressive. So I knew one thing he was honest about the amount of deer...we spoke further and I asked about bird hunting should I tag out early...yup no problem he said. His Setter was sitting right there. I told him I had a setter from Decoverly Kennels in PA. He said that his setters mother & father had been from there. I knew this was not true, Decoverly setters are well known in the bird dog industry and there are very impressive in size and all have a particular head shape/nose and those distinct certain features were ALL lacking. I moved on He had no reason to BS me.
So talking face to face tells you a lot. This is a great site to read and learn. I hope I helped you and above all I wish you luck where ever you end up!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

@ Willywee >>> I only read one review and I would not feel comfortable there. Anyone that bash's clients shows no respect for their own business. No one in business would do this even if the client was a jerk. They would or should just say "mr so and so is not welcome to hunt here. End of conversation...
time for you to Move on.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Forget about this OP and don't waste your time on him as he hasn't been back to the site since he registered and made the post asking the question!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks...I don't post much . just read but thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

CJ Ernst in Ft. McKavette (Sp), Tx. A no frills, no BS, free range spot with a good deer population and nice quality. Was reasonabley priced when I went in 2008. Saw plenty of nice bucks. Good camp on the property, Cost did not include meals.

Jim Jacobs in Dumont, Tx. Again, a no frills, free range. No BS about what's there and a reasonable cost hunt. Great deer population with good quality .... 130-ish bucks. Nice camp house. Cost does not include your meals.

Chip Indy ... avoid. Great turkey hunting. Poor deer hunting. Plus misrepresented the quality of the deer, acreage available to hunt and what game the price included. Nice guy ... just not much to offer in the way of deer for the fee. Price did not include meals.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Spike

I have an outfitting business in SE Iowa and NE Missouri. I would agree with what LuckyIl said above. I would definitely make sure that the lodging is adequate to hold your group and that the hunting is excellent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.