HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st deer stories....let' s hear some.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2003, 07:50 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1st deer stories....let' s hear some.

well i was 12.....hunted hard all year....seen a few deer but couldnt identify if htye were bucks so i let them walk...the last saturday of buck season juniours could take does....wouldnt you know it dad had to work....his friend at work is a good friend of ours and was off and offered to take me out....it was kinda wierd at first...but we started joking and having a good ole time pretty quick....i was a pretty chy kid and wasnt alone iwth people i didnt know well much at all so it was wierd for a while....well we get there and we see a BIG buck and a bunch of other deer all scatter...didnt look for antlers.....i was focused on that giant rack bouncing away...couldnt believe it.....they all run down over a hill.....so we get out and get our gear on and start up the hillside....the guy hunts wierd.....every few steps hed stop and every once in a while hed blow a grunt call......we really took it easy and barely made a peep...we get there and im watching over a gulley about 40 some yards out...he said they run up and donw that...i was sitting there watching a squirrel and listening to some turkeys when i heard something coming....gun laying across my lap not expecting to see a turkey...a nice little doe walks straight up to us....no shot....no time to get the gun up....no biggie....a little later i hear the same thing....i knew it was a deer.....my heart was POUNDING...i looked and looked and couldnt find it anywhere....then teh guy says deer deer! i was like oh! and i seen it....it was nice mature doe....i asked if i should shoot and when i heard the y in yes i touched off....the deer took a 168gr hpbt from a 308 winchester mod 88 to the boiler room..hit her so hard she did a flip in the air no lie....sideways...he feet should faced me...but she flipped in the air and they were facing away from me....the guy couldnt believe it....he seen the flip and all.....after the shot about 50 turkeys took to wing and a big herd of deer took off.....alot of deer...probally about 15....1 ran down the gulley like the deer i shot and we both asked if it was the one i shot but we didnt know so he said let it go....we walked down there sure enough she was laying right tehre where i put her.....it was a nice big mature doe.....i was a happy 12 year old!!