HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CCI Magnum Primers-Primers in General
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 PM
buffybr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
It is a lot of different options, but it seems like options are nice to have when reloading. It is hard to find stuff around where I live that the manuals provide. I was going to try 1 powder at a time and go from there and the only variable is the primer. I think I may need 1 or 2 more boxes of bullets lol.
I think for most hunting applications, powders and bullets are a more important variable than primers. Once you find a bullet/powder combination that your rifle likes, you can fine tune your load with different primers.

hb definitely has a good, detailed load development system, but I think it is more than most hunting reloaders require. I've developed 3 shot sub moa (my hunting accuracy) loads for my .300 Weatherby with 3 different Barnes bullets. At $36+ per box of 50 Barnes bullets, with hb's system it would cost $324 just for the bullets. Add the cost of powder, primers, and at least 100 cases, and the total cost would be about $600 just for load development!

My reloads certainly aren't competition bench rest accuracy, but they have served me very well for many years of hunting and my load developments have only used about 1/4 of the number of shots.