HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CCI Magnum Primers-Primers in General
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 05:57 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

That's a lot more load development work than I'll generally take on. Testing what I consider the minimum number of rounds per step (10), and a minimum number of steps (5) for a given powder, that's 30 rounds per step with three different primers, for 150 rounds per powder. You have three different powders to try? That's 450 rounds JUST in load development - at least the way I work loads up.

To compare apples to apples, your wind and other environmentals need to stay the same, you can't let your eyes get tired, you can't let your barrel heat up or become any more fouled for the next shot than it was for the last, ...

I suggest you develop a load one powder/primer combination at a time. Once you know what your rifle likes in that powder, switch to another powder and do the same thing. Once you settle on a load in each powder - or maybe even eliminate a powder or two, then test different primers.

There's a limit to how much time and attention should be paid your reloading versus time and attention spent sending your reloads downrange, unless you're a dedicated BR shooter. You probably don't have enough measuring equipment yet to really tell much difference from one to the other. I easily have more money tied up in instrumentation than I do the basic press and tools that I use for reloading.

At this point, I think you need to get to reloading and not worry so much about splitting any more hairs than are absolutely necessary with primers.