HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CCI Magnum Primers-Primers in General
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 12:30 PM
buffybr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
What would I use when reloading 223, small or large primers?
You can get a lot of information on the internet, some good, some bad. If you do any reloading, you should have your own current edition(s) of reloading manuals. I have current editions of manuals from each of the manufacturers of the bullets that I reload. The answers to almost all of your reloading questions can be found in those manuals.

I've used CCI primers for most of my reloading for many years -- over 200,000 CCI 209s for shotguns, CCI 250s for my magnum rifles, CCI 200s for my non magnum rifles and reduced practice loads for magnum rifles, CCI 300 and 350s for my .44 mag loads, CCI 300s for .45 acp, and CCI 500s for my .38 spl and .357 mag loads.

It's only been the last few years when components have been hard to get that I've started using other brands of primers, such as Fiocchi and Winchester. All primers will work, some guns might like some brands of primers better than others.

The important thing to remember is that if you have a load with one primer, then switch to another brand, back off your powder charge a grain or so and work up the load with the new primer.