HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Restoring/rebuilding a very old shotgun
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 02:38 AM
DIY_guy
Typical Buck

The epoxy is cured and the stock is unclamped and cleaned up to the rough outline.

But the stock is the same thickness from back to front.

All the stocks on the guns I own are tapered from the butt end to the grip so I will do that next.

I set a depth on each side so I know when I went deep enough.

Then lots of chiseling and sanding to remove all the wood.

Then I used the butt plate as a guide for shaping. Remember I made one slab of wood thicker than the other. That was so I could bias the screw holes to one side rather than right on the glue joint. Now its time to remove all the corners and round the stock.

This was the wrong tool for the job.

This was a better choice to keep the comb straight. It allowed me to remove a lot of material very quickly.

After a lot of sanding to the outline of the butt plate, one corner is done, three more to go.

Fast forward and all the corners are finished..

The sanding left a radius at the base of the grip.

Time to break out the chisel again.

And more sanding to finish with a clean and sharp line,.

The original gun most likely had only a black butt plate. While that’s fine and all, I hoped to dress it up a bit more so I cut up one of my flexible cutting boards and the divider out of a three ring binder to add a bit more style. (nothing but the best for this job. plus the guy in the cube next to me will never know those dividers are missing)

I think it adds a bit of class to the look without adding any cost.

The step that I failed to show was rounding the bottom of the grip. This stock wont have a flat grip nor a plastic grip cap so I rounded it off. You can see that rounding in the pic above.

The next steps are to point and flute the top of the comb near the grip and to do lots of final sanding all the way to 800 grit.

Too be continued…..