HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st deer stories....let' s hear some.
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2003, 04:17 PM
GBhunter

Default RE: 1st deer stories....let' s hear some.

I was 12 years old and hunting the October T-zone hunt in Sconny. i was using a 30.06 with 150 grain bullets. my dad and i were sitting in the same stand overlooking the edge of a swamp. the doe walked up and was alone so my dad wasn' t sure if it was very big. he said go ahead and shoot it so within like 3 seconds of him saying that i shot and dropped her in her tracks. i hit her in the backbone and she did not die right away. my dad had to shoot her in the neck and she died right away. that was the most exhilerating experience of my life.

The year before i was only 11 and couldnt hunt, but sat in a stand with my dad to observe. we were sitting again on the edge of a swamp, and i saw out of the corner of my eye what looked like legs moving in the trees in the swamp. i whispered to my dad, get ready, i think i see a deer. the deer took a few more steps and my dad didnt see it yet, but i saw it and also saw it was a buck! i pointed to where i saw him and as soon as he came out my dad shot him. he dropped in his tracks and was still alive; so my dad shot him in the neck. this time he hit him in the windpipe and we could hear him gasping for air. we thought for sure he would die, but we watched him for like 10 minutes and he was still gasping. my dad and i got out of our stand and he must have bumped his scope on something because he took three more shots from even closer and missed every time. he told me to go back to our cabin( 1/4 mile away) im glad we had our 4 wheeler. he wanted me to get the gutting gloves and some rope to drag the deer out with. so i did and when i got back i asked him where the deer was and he said it ran away! i didnt believe him but we had to track him 100 yards into the swamp before we found him dead finally. sorry to rant but i was pretty proud i saw the deer first.