HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hevi shot effective range
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

I've always wondered... If this stuf is so great... Why doesn't win, rem, fed... Have there hands in this???

I'd pay the prices for them if they would give me killing pattern out to 60 yards... Ok my bad 100 yards lol
I have no inside knowledge of why they don't but here would be my best guesses.

First is no doubt cost. Yeah, people like you and I would buy it. But the rest of the turkey hunting world that spends little or no time on the internet obsessing over this stuff like we do would probably grab their chest and start staggering backwards like Red Foxx on the old Sanford and Son show when they saw what a box of 5 would cost. I know many people that think the price of the Nitro Company's shells is insane and won't buy them. TSS shells would blow past the price of those shells by a wide margin.

Second, TSS shot is so hard and so dense that I think the big manufacturers like Winchester are probably worried that it could damage gun barrels. The hand loads for this stuff contain special wads, mylar wrap liners and overshot cards to protect barrels. All that stuff not only adds to the cost of each shell but tells me there is a concern for barrels in using this stuff. Nothing strikes more fear in the heart of company executives than the potential for a lawsuit.