HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Restoring/rebuilding a very old shotgun
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 AM
DIY_guy
Typical Buck

I had the whole weekend to begin the stock project. That walnut beam is solid and heavy and it looks like there are blonde streaks running through it. I grabbed the hand saw and loped off a chuck for the foregrip stock.

The foregrip is pretty small. I found a good looking piece after cutting it on my table saw.

I have to pocket out for the spring latch that holds the stock to the gun.

I plan on doing as much of this project old school as I can. Chisels, rasps, saws, planes, shaves, carving tools, sanding blocks, etc. I don’t have a milling machine or router. I have a drill press but thats not much good here.

So it begings.

For the smaller features I used an exacto chisel.

I have to make the barrel fit the length of the block.

The table saw is the best choice here.

To get rid of the ridges left by the saw blade I employed the handle from my shop broom and some sandpaper. I can add broom handle to the list of hand tools for the project.

It worked just fine.

Where the barrel meets the receiver it flares out a bit. I laid the barrel on the stock and scribed lines and used carving tools.

I would coat the barrel with pencil carbon and lay it in the stock and give it a twist. It left marks telling me where it made contact and where I needed to take away more wood.

Then some profile cuts and a hole for the screw that mounts the spring mechanism.

Then a whole lot of sanding and a counterbore so the screw head sit below the surface.

After the work was mostly complete (final sanding) those blonde streaks showed up.

I don’t know if they add character or are ugly. Too soon to tell but I don’t feel like starting over since any other piece might have more blonde streaks in it as well. So far so good. No screw ups and no injuries.

To be continued............