HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which 1911 to buy?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
If I do go laser, do I install a grip laser, or buy a gun with a rail below the barrel?
I missed this part. I personally don't like grip lasers. I shoot handguns left handed about 75% of the time, and my wife is a righty, meaning our defensive guns might find themselves in either hand. Marketers can lie about ambidextrous use, but they ARE lying. Wrong hand, or even just the wrong grip with both hands and you cover up the laser.

So under muzzle mounts or integrated lasers are the way to go. I'm not sure if they're still around, but there used to be mainspring plunger lasers for 1911's that were pretty slick, at least in theory. As much as I hate hanging crap off of my handguns, if you want a laser, that's the way to go.

For dead of night, there's a dude standing over my bed type shooting, I prefer a laser, backed up by tritium sights. Best part of a laser in that situation is I can be in any position, not even have the gun in front of my eyes and know where it's going.

Don't talk about rapid fire speed when shooting a laser. It's a defensive shooting aid to help get the first shot on target faster. Naturally a shooter can recover their front site faster than they can recover a laser dot much farther away. But a laser isn't for when you're shooting in the light, from a proper shooting technique. It's meant for ending a situation quickly when things suddenly aren't going your way, especially in the dark.