HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homemade tree stand box blind
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

I would not attach anything like it appears the OP is contemplating to a tree and definitely not use a charcoal burner! It would either be a freestanding one like people put on the ground or on a platform. As Rockport stated about tree movement not being good for the stand, it would also not be good to rest a gun on to shoot if it's moving. Here's a picture of one I made and hauled back in the boonies in pieces 1/2 mile from my northern MI cabin and put it together. It's 4'x4' made of OSB with 2x2 supports for the walls, 1" plywood floor on 2x6s (2 pieces of 1/2" running opposite each other), an aluminum roof that was a leftover piece from other blinds made years ago, covered with steel from scrap being tossed out in a project over at our Fairgrounds on a new 4H building, and single pane windows that hinge down so they will drop easily and not need excessive movement like if they hinged up. It sits on two 8' treated 4x4s that I cut into 4' lengths. The cost for the glass, 4x4s, sheets of OSB, the 2x2s, and several cans of paint was under $100. All the rest was scraps from projects I bummed that would have gone in a dumpster. It is so solid that you can almost heat it with a cigarette lighter and it will last for decades. I have about ten ladder stands that I use most of the time that are in areas where longer shots are presented. This enclosed blind is for bad weather and is positioned on the edge of one of the better bedding areas where I hunt.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.