HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6.5mm
Thread: 6.5mm
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 PM
8mm/06
Nontypical Buck

I have 5 Swede's, but the only one I hunt with is an old model 94. I bought it at a gun show ... it had the original military configuration but someone had swapped out the stock for an updated Bishop and had slapped a model 38 cavalry bolt into it. It had absolutely NO matching numbers, and was missing the rear sights ... otherwise I might have considered restoring it. The original blue was all but gone as well, and the exterior metal had been marked up in a nasty way. Upon taking it to the range I found the accuracy acceptable and found a couple of factory loads that it liked. Instead of restoring it I had the bolt turned for a scope and had it drilled and tapped. I have a pristine military barrel for it (bore that is) that has been bobbed to about 21.5 inches long .. but I'll want to have it lathed down to a sporter configuration someday before I get it mounted on this action.

It took a nice fat 8 pt. this year. It was an easy 120 yard shot. Deer fell to a 156 gr Norma Alaskan load. One small entry and one modest exit. Lungs were jelly. Deer went all of 15 yards and tipped over neatly.

I think that the 6.5 X 55 round is one of the finest deer rounds out there. When loaded with a modest velocity (all I put through my old military) it is a kitty-cat to shoot and very effective on game. When there is a discussion of a good starting cartidge for young hunters I think the 6.5 X 55 is one of the kindest to shoot out there. It's easy to have great accuracy when the rifle hardly gives you a push.

A previous posted mentioned the 160 grain Hornady's .. I hope they bring this bullet back. The longer heavier bullets shoot best out of my short model 94 military barrel.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 01-11-2014 at 02:58 PM.