HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6.5mm
Thread: 6.5mm
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

I've got 2 chambered in 6.5mm. I absolutely love that bullet diameter. It has great sectional density and the penetration in incredible. Those long skinny bullets are very effective on game.

I've got a Rem Model 700 Classic in 6.5x55 Swedish. This is my go to rifle for deer and pronghorn. It is very effective on both. I liked it good enough I got rid of my .243 since I can get a lot heavier bullet for the Swede. Recoil is very easy to handle and the rifle is so accurate with the Seller & Belloit 131 gr load that I don't even bother to try and handload for it. Someday I'll use it on cow elk, but when I do I'll go for a little heavier bullet and I'll make sure it is a Nosler.

I've also got a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1903 in 6.5x54 MS. These are great little rifles, only weigh about 5 1/2 lbs. Mine has a Lyman Peep on it and a set trigger that breaks at 8 oz. I've got a really accurate handload for the Hornady 160 gr Round Nose, but that bullet has been discontinued and I've only got about 150 left. Woodleigh makes a 160 gr 6.5mm bullet so I'll give those a try when the Hornadys run out unless I can find more of them. I've taken whitetail and hogs with this little beauty and I took an escaped exotic ram that got on a buddies ranch in TX with it too. W.D.M. Bell used one of these with solid bullets to take a couple of hundred elephant prior to WWI. Here's a pic of the rifle in the field.

Last edited by flags; 01-11-2014 at 10:30 AM.