HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - swabing between shots?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
edwardCVAmason
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blaZer_2
im new to muzzleloading and wandered if I should swab between shots when shooting? I use Pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets, and if I do what should I use?
You are going to have to let your MZ tell you if you should swab between shots to get the best accuracy.

The clinical answer is yes you should swab between shots with Pyrodex to maintain a clean bore because the stuff is corrosive.

However in a hunting situation this is not always practical or necessary. Especially if you are taking the MZ home at the end of the day and cleaning it.

Going back to your MZ if it will tell you if it likes to be shot clean or fouled! Some MZ's do not shoot very well on a clean bore and take a certain amount of fouling to get to shoot well. I have always ditched those MZ in favor of MZ's that shoot to point of impact on a clean, dirty or indifferent barrel but that is me. Test your MZ both ways and see where you point of impact is. If it likes it clean my suggestion is swab between shots with Pyrodex whenever practical..

You are shooting Powerbelts and all the Powerbelt pros will tell you that swabbing between shots is not necessary. I am sure that is true. I am sure its true that leaves a false sense of security for a lot of folks and there are a lot of pitted barrels across this world of ours due to the fact people are led into that false sense of security of not swabbing or leaving their barrels unattended for longer periods of time. Shooting it opening day and reloading it in a hurry then leaving it loaded having good intentions of cleaning it when they get home or cleaning it next week then forgetting about it for weeks on end. How many times have you seen it??? Too many times for my liking.

So I say Swab it inbetween with Pyrodex.

Last edited by edwardCVAmason; 01-09-2014 at 05:05 PM.