Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
swabing between shots? >

swabing between shots?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

swabing between shots?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

Not really a need for swabbing in the field with deer. Squirrels and such are a different matter. I have used spit or hand sanitizer in the past. Now I just carry a lighter fluid bottle with ballistol, pinesol and alcohol in it. Just a line across the patch is good. Rub it in good between fingers and don't have to worry about soaking where the powder will be. If the patch ever gets stuck and I have to squirt some down the barrel to get it out the alcohol dries up real quick when the patch is pulled out.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason

Watch the Video on this page for instructions on the "proper" method to apply. http://ultimatefirearms.com/
I like how the guy makes a big deal about how fast he is at loading. Why would you need to load that fast for range shooting? Does he have a bench handy and everything laid out for him (including the bucket he throws his ramrod in) while he's hunting? I also notice he's shooting off a lead sled...maybe that 190gr load's a bit much for his shoulder.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-10-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

On the range and except if I need a follow-up shot on a deer I always swab between shots. (I don't use BH209). Depending on the propellant (black powder or Pyrodex) I may use 2 or 3 patches to clean the bore. I do this because I want my muzzleloaders sighted in with a clean barrel. Our late PA season starts the day after Christmas and runs to two plus weeks. I have already went the entire season without firing a shot and I don't want fouling, especially from black powder, in my bore for that long.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-10-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I shoot in a hunting mode. And as such will shoot two shots then swab the barrel. At the range I have noticed that the fourth shot will start to wander and my accuracy starts to drop. Like Ed said, work your gun and let it tell you what it likes.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

"You are going to have to let your MZ tell you if you should swab between shots to get the best accuracy."

I agree. In my TC Firebolt w/Pyrodex Select & using TC bore butter my accuracy wasn't affected until more than 8-10 shots. My CVA, swab every shot required until I started using Blackhorn 209.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Spike

Once again a lot of good information above. I would let my gun tell me what to do. Shoot three with cleaning and three with out. Check for accuracy and ease of loading, that should give you your answer. If you shoot Blackhorn don't worry about unloading after hunting. With all others five days is the max for me. Good luck