HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Our Season's Over
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 01:07 PM
edwardCVAmason
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rafsob
Had a good year in 2013. I lost a bunch of deer meat when my freezer was inadvertently turned off, by me!!! However, I did manage to refill the freezer with four deer, two doe and two bucks.

I also did manage to get a chance at two Bullwinkles. The first was a very nice large bodied and large racked buck. I thought I had him lined up in my sights and took the shot only to find out that he was traveling with a spike who got in front of him and that is who I shot. Oh well!!!

The second buck came in on me from behind and was standing in some pretty thick stuff. I also found out that he was following a doe and she came out into an opening and laid down. I waited for her to get up and move off so I could get my sights lined up on big boy. She got up alright, but took off like a rocket. I took the running shot, which I hate, and killed a nice pine tree instead. I stood there and watched them run around the ridge line that surrounded me. But luck would have it, 15 minutes later a four point buck came in the same place as the other two. He must have scented the doe. I put a bead on him and the rest is history.

I did go back up to hunt camp this past week, but didn't see anything period!!! I came home early on friday.

This past week we only managed to take four more deer. That put our club total at 76 deer taken for archery, ML, and gun season. I think our problem this year was no acorns. I noticed that our food plots were numbed to the ground. These deer were taking long hikes looking for something to eat. Hope next year is better.

All in all I took one deer with my bow, two with my CVA Apex, and one with my .308 Remington Model Seven. We will have an extended turkey season for two weeks in a couple of weeks. I may go back up. So in the end, I had a good season. Got to hunt with a great bunch of guys and loved every minute of my time at camp!!
Sounds like you have a nice set up with the Apex and the .308 Model 7. Anytime you can get one with a Bow its a good one.