HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A couple questions on lease rules for deer hunting....
Old 12-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

I think you have asked very good questions and have answered them all exactly like I would have suggested due to what problems are created from what you described is going on. I hunted for many years on several leases in south Texas. We did not go out in the field during the open deer season unless it was to go directly to a blind/stand and it was done as unobtrusively as possible. We also stayed away from the feeders other than to put feed in them and that was only about once a month. We also did exactly as you envision and cleaned everything near camp where the cleanup was easy and all the offal was dumped in a specific nonhunting spot. That is not done in a lot of places. As long as you don't clean them in close proximity to the feeders though there should be no problem. I know shooting a hog usually slows down that area for a while as far as other hogs are concerned, but deer don't seem to have a problem with gut piles. The guy with the dog running all over is a definite nono and we didn't allow any bird hunting during the deer season with or without a dog. The less human scent in an area the better the chance of seeing deer and hogs and the less changes that are made in an area when the season is open the better. Therefore, I would add a #4 and preclude any walking of the property other than going directly to and from a stand during the entire time the deer season is open. I'm sure if those four rules are put in place and enforced all the hunters will notice an improvement in game sightings and movement during legal hunting hours.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-25-2013 at 03:13 PM.