Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A couple questions on lease rules for deer hunting.... >

A couple questions on lease rules for deer hunting....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A couple questions on lease rules for deer hunting....

Old 12-25-2013, 01:04 PM
Spike

Default A couple questions on lease rules for deer hunting....

We have a small ranch in south Texas and we are starting to have a couple more people come out than have in the past. We have two blinds, four feeders, two tripods, and two brush blinds setup throughout the property. Looking at the game cam, we have had a lot of hogs and a good amount (6-8) doe coming out every morning and evening. Recently there have been some changes and what I feel are errors made at the ranch by one of the people going out to the ranch that has since caused the animals to stop coming out for the past week.

So that leads me to making some rules that will govern people at the ranch. I'll start with some questions and ask what an educated hunter's opinion on these things. I'm not a lifelong hunter and am more of a noob so any input is appreciated.

Questions:
1. If someone were to kill a hog or deer and gut/clean the animal within 10 yards of the feeder and leave all the guts there, would that effect animals coming out for the immediate future?
2. Would making changes to the immediate area of the feeder cause them to stop coming out? Things like adding a tripod, moving the location of the tripod, etc.
3. One of the guys that comes out brings his tracking dog out with him. And when he's walking the land, his dog (a female dog) is just running all over the place leaving her scent everywhere, including in the immediate area of the feeders. Is this a huge no no?

Proposed Solutions:
1. No dogs allowed roaming on the hunting grounds between September 1st and February 1st. At the campsite area is fine.
2. No adds/moves/changes to feeders, blinds, or stands between September 1st and February 1st.
3. All cleaning and gutting of all animals must be done at the camp site. The remains are to be thrown on the other side of the fence next to the tractor by the house.

Thoughts?
Old 12-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you have asked very good questions and have answered them all exactly like I would have suggested due to what problems are created from what you described is going on. I hunted for many years on several leases in south Texas. We did not go out in the field during the open deer season unless it was to go directly to a blind/stand and it was done as unobtrusively as possible. We also stayed away from the feeders other than to put feed in them and that was only about once a month. We also did exactly as you envision and cleaned everything near camp where the cleanup was easy and all the offal was dumped in a specific nonhunting spot. That is not done in a lot of places. As long as you don't clean them in close proximity to the feeders though there should be no problem. I know shooting a hog usually slows down that area for a while as far as other hogs are concerned, but deer don't seem to have a problem with gut piles. The guy with the dog running all over is a definite nono and we didn't allow any bird hunting during the deer season with or without a dog. The less human scent in an area the better the chance of seeing deer and hogs and the less changes that are made in an area when the season is open the better. Therefore, I would add a #4 and preclude any walking of the property other than going directly to and from a stand during the entire time the deer season is open. I'm sure if those four rules are put in place and enforced all the hunters will notice an improvement in game sightings and movement during legal hunting hours.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-25-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

IME - Your 3. is THE problem. Stop letting that dog out around the property!

But don't see any thing wrong with your other rules.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

SooprmanX,. You have some valid points and if you own the place or have control of what goes on there then any rule that comes from you should be respected by any and all guests.

It's sad but don't assume that other people have common sense and think the way you do. Sounds as if the guy with the dog doesn't seem to care. You are the steward and have the right to make the rules but others people that come on it need to know your wishes/rules and that includes family member too. Make it clear to all concerned. All to often I hear of others not respecting the land owner and /or lease rules and it makes it worse on everybody involved. On small properties the problems you stated can be magnified compared with a larger one

You shouldn't have to draw up contract or agreement but many do. Have visitors/guest acknowledge that the agree with the rules set forth and the consequences if not followed. It may seem that you appear to be a "Ahole" but it's the smart thing to do protecting what is yours.