HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is a gun?
Thread: What is a gun?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 AM
RobertSubnet
Nontypical Buck

Is it a tool or a big boy toy?
Well both depending upon the circumstance. However before I purchase a firearm I ask myself what does this potential purchase do that is not already being performed by something else: I *try* not to overlap too much.

They are also a memory book.
Indeed. I recently purchased an M1a. I have about zero need for this weapon. However a dear friend of 25+ years was really into battle rifles. He was the sort of friend you only make 1 or 2 of in your life time: he died of a heart attack a few years back. The M1a is my way of honoring and keeping alive his memory.

Something I have not yet seen in this thread: An inheritance.

Without getting too political I do not trust our political "leaders" to respect our 2A rights. I have an AR-15, a Ruger MkIII and a number of magazines set aside for my daughter. She is only 6 years old but when the time is right she will begin to learn how to use them...and the reasons why.

Another: Educational

I am willing to wager that all of us side lock shooters have grown in respect for those that used: wheel/flint/cap locks and actually depended upon those weapons. We have the luxury of choice - those who came before us did not.

By-the-way good thread topic.

Firearms are many things I guess that is why we enjoy them so much.