Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What is a gun?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:51 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default What is a gun?

Is it a tool or a big boy toy? For many it seems it's just one more toy in their bag of goodies. I've met people who treat their guns like any other object . Personally I view a gun as a tool . It serves a purpose for me whether that purpose is procuring food for the table , a method of protection for myself or my family in this evil generation or just as a form of recreation when we go out plinking or target shooting . I take great pride in giving my gun the respect it deserves for all that it does for me . I enjoy the time it takes to clean it good and I don't mind spending time doing that . A little TLC is not much of a sacrifice for the years of service it gives . It's like a trusty companion that I can depend on when I need to . For many the new fangled improvements such as powder that you don't need to worry about cleaning after shooting, finger removable breech plugs , etc etc are what's important . If a person wants to grab their gun and shoot then stick it in the closet til next year they will need those type of improvements .
Me, I'm ok with sitting at the table cleaning

Just yesterday I was rubbing a fresh coat of linseed oil in my GPR and admiring the beauty of her and thinking of all the deer she has provided and of the one time I dropped a doe at 119 yards with her .it was on my wife's first muzzy hunt and she shot her first deer with a muzzleloader , The second doe ran off , stopped and looked back and the GPH took her down .
Nope I don't mind cleaning my gun even if it takes tools and time .
So for you , what is a gun ?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

1874sharpsshooter

For myself it IS a tool... And 90% of the tools that I own in the shop are tools that cost more than the average duck, but I know when I go to the shop to use that tool - it will work and it will help me produce some quality work by actually cutting down the amount of hand work that I may need to do.

I feel my rifles are in the same class as the shop tools... I purchase rifles, center fire, shotguns, or ML's for the toughness, dependability, and accuracy that I need in my perceived hunting conditions.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I understand the idea that a gun is a tool. After all we use it for harvesting food for the table. And as already said, if necessary defend ourselves and loved ones. But as a tool it also provides me with hours of entertainment, just sitting on my range and seeing what I can make the tool do. I know some do not understand but others smile when I says, some of my most relaxing and pleasurable days were spent poking holes in paper targets or old empty pop cans. The sound of the boom, the smell of the powder being burned, all seem to make for me, a very enjoyable day.

But a gun is even more then that to me. Its also a thing of beauty. Art, if you will. Something to be admired, for the beauty of the lines of the rifle and the wood. My newest rifle, has brought me hours of enjoyment looking at it and wondering what wonderful adventures I am going to have with it.

They are also a memory book. Because when I look at and handle my guns, the memories that come back to me are a thing of great joy. My first deer, or maybe a special hunt with my father as we walked the woods and he finally talked to me man to man. And of course, my worst and most embarrassing experience that now as I look back at, I can laugh.

My family has wondered why I have accumulated so many firearms and what I need them for. I just smile because I can't explain to them the joy I get from them. But also, like some dear family member, I find it very hard to part with a single one.

So no matter if you simply shove the gun in the closet like my father did, and wait for next year to use it. Or you hang them on walls for you to look at, and admire. It makes no difference. As an individual, you have the right to view and consider them anyway you like.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

It's a toy I really like to play with.

The truth is hunting guns are toys. If it was really about putting food on the table I would be way better off working at my trade the same hours I put into deer hunting. If one were to ever add up the cost per pound of venison, it wouldn't be pretty. It may be different if I just had to walk out the back door to hunt but my hunts involve travel.

Self defense weapons are a whole different story. Deffinately a tool.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it a tool or a big boy toy?
Well both depending upon the circumstance. However before I purchase a firearm I ask myself what does this potential purchase do that is not already being performed by something else: I *try* not to overlap too much.

They are also a memory book.
Indeed. I recently purchased an M1a. I have about zero need for this weapon. However a dear friend of 25+ years was really into battle rifles. He was the sort of friend you only make 1 or 2 of in your life time: he died of a heart attack a few years back. The M1a is my way of honoring and keeping alive his memory.

Something I have not yet seen in this thread: An inheritance.

Without getting too political I do not trust our political "leaders" to respect our 2A rights. I have an AR-15, a Ruger MkIII and a number of magazines set aside for my daughter. She is only 6 years old but when the time is right she will begin to learn how to use them...and the reasons why.

Another: Educational

I am willing to wager that all of us side lock shooters have grown in respect for those that used: wheel/flint/cap locks and actually depended upon those weapons. We have the luxury of choice - those who came before us did not.

By-the-way good thread topic.

Firearms are many things I guess that is why we enjoy them so much.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I classify most all of my guns as tools. They aren't very pretty-most are blued/black models or plain walnut stocks. I bought them to serve a purpose. Mostly, to kill stuff. (including self defense)

I only own 1 "for fun" gun which is a 10/22. While I find enjoyment in all of my guns, that is simply a side bonus to their main purpose.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

For me I see a gun as a toy and a tool when cleaning are target shooting when done safely its a toy. but when I'm hunting or self defense its a tool. Just love having fun with may toys and may tools.

Last edited by a1smokepole; 12-20-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad

But a gun is even more then that to me. Its also a thing of beauty. Art, if you will. Something to be admired, for the beauty of the lines of the rifle and the wood. My newest rifle, has brought me hours of enjoyment looking at it and wondering what wonderful adventures I am going to have with it.
I like that! pretty much sums it up for me, more of a gift, although I do it more so with revolvers, I have some that have never been shot, but I look at them as things of beauty, the biggest dilemma is what will happen to them. jmop
Old 12-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

In reality, what we use are rifles, revolvers or pistols.
A gun is aboard a Navy vessel, that long gray thing sticking out of a turret. It uses black powder and the biggest bullets I have ever seen.

Just kidding about that, but it is true.

Other than that my weapons are just tools that I use. I get upset with them from time to time but things always seem to work out. I try to treat them as well as I can so that they will continue to serve me when needed.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

A gun is aboard a Navy vessel, that long gray thing sticking out of a turret. It uses black powder and the biggest bullets I have ever seen.
"...this is my rifle this is my gun, this is for fighting this is for fun..."

/sorry about that could not resist!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.