HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is a gun?
Thread: What is a gun?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I understand the idea that a gun is a tool. After all we use it for harvesting food for the table. And as already said, if necessary defend ourselves and loved ones. But as a tool it also provides me with hours of entertainment, just sitting on my range and seeing what I can make the tool do. I know some do not understand but others smile when I says, some of my most relaxing and pleasurable days were spent poking holes in paper targets or old empty pop cans. The sound of the boom, the smell of the powder being burned, all seem to make for me, a very enjoyable day.

But a gun is even more then that to me. Its also a thing of beauty. Art, if you will. Something to be admired, for the beauty of the lines of the rifle and the wood. My newest rifle, has brought me hours of enjoyment looking at it and wondering what wonderful adventures I am going to have with it.

They are also a memory book. Because when I look at and handle my guns, the memories that come back to me are a thing of great joy. My first deer, or maybe a special hunt with my father as we walked the woods and he finally talked to me man to man. And of course, my worst and most embarrassing experience that now as I look back at, I can laugh.

My family has wondered why I have accumulated so many firearms and what I need them for. I just smile because I can't explain to them the joy I get from them. But also, like some dear family member, I find it very hard to part with a single one.

So no matter if you simply shove the gun in the closet like my father did, and wait for next year to use it. Or you hang them on walls for you to look at, and admire. It makes no difference. As an individual, you have the right to view and consider them anyway you like.