HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best budget trail camera?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 09:16 AM
pmsmith2032
Spike

Thanks for all the advice. I've narrowed it down to the following 3 cameras:

Wildgame Red 6

It's the cheapest ($44) of the three and I like the fact that I can buy two almost for the price of one of the Primos Truth 35 ($79). I won't feel as bad if it's stolen (I'm assuming there is a 50/50 chance of this right now since this will be the first time I use one on public land).
Trigger speed is around a second and recovery is around 22 seconds per a review.
It's sold at Menards so it's easy for me to buy one and return if not what I want. Also, I have some credit from returns so might be able to buy one or two extra.
The detection zone is poor and limited.....40-50 ft tops.
Mixed reviews. Some people like them and others don't. Seems to me that this might be a decent camera but it gets a bad rap because of some of their other poor cameras. Some play poor construction.
Battery life seems to be okay based on reviews but it runs on C batteries so no recharables.
Pictures can be blurry but I'm not too worried about that. Night time picture are very poor. I'm just trying to determine if there are mature bucks in a given area.....not looking for high quality pics to share with friends.

Covert MP-E5

Mid-priced of the three. Have someone who is willing to sell me two new ones for $100 ($50 each).
Slow recovery.....claims 36 seconds but I've read it can be over a minute. Trigger time is just over a second.
Wide detection zone.
Generally good reviews.
Good picture quality
Compatible with a python cable lock.
Runs on AA batteries so can use rechargeables.

Primos Truth Cam 35

Most expensive of the three ($79).
1.5 sec trigger speed
6.5 recovery speed so MUCH better than the other two.
Wide detection zone. The range is consistently out to 45 ft.
Picture quality isn't the greatest but again isn't all that important to me.
Excellent battery life.
Gets best reviews.
Easily compatible with a python cable lock.
I think the best camera of the three but also the most expensive.

Right now I'm undecided between the three so any help is appreciated!