HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choosing the right "one for all" gun.
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Soupy1957
Spike

Default Choosing the right "one for all" gun.

I've had a 45-70. It was "too much gun" for me. I could shoot it, but it had such a bang to it that I couldn't guarantee my shot location regularly enough to justify using it when hunting.

I had a .30-06 that didn't have iron sights. I could have had them put on, but I would have shelled out a couple of hundred to have it done proper.

Right now my Model 94 (pre 1964) is doing it for me, along with a 12 Gauge slug gun.

If I was to add one more rifle to my hunting arsenal, I'm thinking ".308" or another .30-06 with irons sights already on it.

Whatever additional gun I choose, I'd like it to be a good "all around" gun that could handle Moose, Elk, Caribou, Bear, ........as well as Deer.

While I'm at it, let me say that I STILL can't wrap my head around the idea that a "bolt action is a better hunting gun than a Lever Action," as some have said. Why is that true for them? What is the rationality? Please explain in detail. (Thanks).

-Soupy1957