Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Choosing the right "one for all" gun. >

Choosing the right "one for all" gun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choosing the right "one for all" gun.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
In detail eh? Some of you will get it...

The advantage of the levergun = fast cycling. Is that important? Only if you miss the first shot.

The advantage of a bolt gun over a levergun? Primarily the cartridges (and the diversity of cartridges) that they're chambered in. Talking modern manufacture leverguns, you're really looking at pistol cartridges like the .357mag, .44mag, or .45colt. Still a few .44-40's kicking around, or you're talking .30-30win, .45-70, 444marlin, or .450Marlin. At the end of the day, all of these rounds are big slugs, moving very slow. The .30-30 is a bit of an oddball for the group, but other than the Leverevolution rounds, still required a round nosed bullet or flat nosed bullet, and only pushes them to around 2200fps, way too slow by today's standards.

Sure, the 308Marlin is trying, but nobody has had confidence that it would stay the course, so it's been a slow start for them.

I won't stoop to include the criminally ugly BLR in this conversation. Every part of me is repulsed by the BLR.

Personally, for the game you suggested, my first instinct would be my wife's Marlin 1895 Guide Gun .45-70. A .458 Socom AR might be a fun twist if dangerous bears are on your list. But either of these might be a bit punchy since you mentioned you didn't like the recoil of the .45-70 already (which I find to be more mild than most 30caliber x 2900fps+ cartridges).

A .35 Whelen wouldn't be a bad choice, or a .338-06. Not quite as punishing as some of the heavier magnum cartridges on your end, but plenty of punch to deliver death to large game on the other end.
couple comments on NM's post
I won't stoop to include the criminally ugly BLR in this conversation. Every part of me is repulsed by the BLR.
my feelings exactly but worded better than I could, don't care who ya are this is funny!

the other thing, my 458 socom AR recoils about like a 30/30 this is with a 300 gr HP at almost 2200 fps.
RR
Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

I'll say it...of those two options, I'd go the 308 route (mostly to be contrary...LOL) but really because I HATE the -06...I refuse to own one...every one I have shot kicks beyond necessary fort the cal and lacks in accuracy when compared to the 308. I have 5 308's in my safe (oddly enough 3 of them are lever guns). I like lever guns, although I don't regularly hunt with one much anymore (to many options in the safe I guess)...not all lever guns are created equal and while I agree that the tube fed guns (Marlin 336's and Win 94's, etc....which I also have a couple of and love for different reasons) have some disadvantages over some of the box magazine fed guns...for which I have 3 chambered in 308 a Savage 99 (my all time favorite rifle to hunt with), Winchester 88 and YUP...a Browning BLR Model 81. They all shoot very well, although the 88 took longer to find a load it really liked and have all taken a pile of animals (including a couple elk in WA) over the years.

As someone else said, lever guns have advantages as do bolt guns...lately I have been more inclined to hunt with a couple of my bolt guns more often, but not necessarily because they are all that more accurate just because I really like the calibers my bolt guns are in right now...

Bottom line, there is no one "perfect" all-around gun (if there is, please don't let my wife know!)...and as much as I despise the -06...both the -06 and the 308 will certainly get the job done you are asking of it.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

I'll second the motion for the .300WM. I have one, a Rem Model 700 BDL, and it currently is my all around gun. Ammo is as easy to find as any other common round (as easy as it gets these days anyway). Mine has iron sights, which are accurate and reliable, but I shoot it with a 3X9. I've shot critters from as close as 3 feet to as far as 300 yds and it does the job each and every time. If you are worried about recoil (I might get chastised for this) buy the %50 reduced recoil shells. My stepmother had a broken neck years ago and couldn't handle shooting large rifles, but rather than go buy her a smaller gun we bought her those %50 reduced shells of remingtons and she never had a problem. I use only different rounds thru it, both remington core-lokt, 150 gr and 180 gr. Kills everything from prairie dogs and up.

And as far as your concern about bolts vs lever guns...why? Bolt action guns are reliable the same as lever actions are. Neither is perfect and neither is necessarily better. I wouldn't get caught up too much in the action of a rifle as I would the caliber and make.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Between me and my dad we have 8 30/06. 2 remington bdl, a sako l61, a remington 721, rem 725, 2 remington 760', m1. Nothing wrong with the 06 been proven game killer since 1906.