HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lessons learned...please feel free to add.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Chuck7
Dominant Buck

Default Lessons learned...please feel free to add.

1. I thought since i would be hunting a big field..i needed to zero my rifle in at 100 yds....welll i had a buck come in at 10 yds...i only had a hesd shot...I missed...I was an Expert in the military...i ask a friend what happened..he said you shot 4 inches low...I was shooting a scoped 270. I researched...You are supposed to shoot your rifle in at 25yds...at 100 it will be right on...

2. Never set your climber up near the game trail...at least 20 yds away for archery and 50 for firearm...been busted too many times..

3. Check the dates on your licenses...another embarrassing moment..

4. Fold up 3 or 4 shhets of paper towels and place in back pocket...comes in handy (-;

5. Check how many step it takes you to walk 1/4 mile...mine is 500. This helps you plot out your Google Earth hunting trip.

6. Always carry a compass...very difficult to see in the dark..

7. Invest in a cap with lights...it makes a good back up if your head lamp goes out.Walmart has a real nice 6 light model RED for 14.00

8. If you drop your rifle in dirt..run your rifle pull up rope through the barrell...

9. Carry a 6' cable and lock to lock up your climber in case you get a deer. Takes up very little space.

10. Take a drink of water after you climb your tree...walking through fields etc can cause build up in your throat...and you will cough...so i take a good swig of water or Gatoraid...been perfect so far.