HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Non guided hunt
Thread: Non guided hunt
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM
streetglideok
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 00possum
Me and my buddy want to go on our own hunt for something we don't have in central Texas. Bears, elk, jumbo mulies, aoudad, alligator antelope, whatever. It'd be easier to say what we absolutely won't hunt, whitetails, pigs, and high fences. We have a Polaris ranger and a camper we can use. We would really prefer to use the ranger, but it's not an absolute necessity. We want to spend less than $1000 each total. And we aren't doing that draw tag crap. So could someone hook me up with some information I would appreciate it.
Lot of limitations in your post. $1k limit, half will go to a tag, even an OTC tag you're going to fork over close to $500(or somewhere close), plus you have fuel usage, supplies, etc. As others said, sometimes you can still get a draw tag with no points. You can try in a couple of months when next year's draw tag apps come out. 4wd that is capable, with a camper that can make it are a plus. 4wheelers are cute, leave them at camp(yes I'm one of the haters). If you want to see elk, and not a sea of orange, you need walking boots to get back where the critters are, or a western horse/mule. 4wheelers running up and down the trails(only place that they are legal in many states inc here) only drive the critters you seek further into the woods. Remember, Elk once roamed the plains, but only the mountain elk survived extinction. That's because they are some smart animals and went to the higher, more rugged terrain where the bums couldn't reach them. So if you want OTC elk, Colorado will be one of your top choices then, with it being one of the western units. Just start getting in shape now, because those hills you have there are gopher mounds here