HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 670 yard Mule Deer
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 06:32 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
but...muley if I'm not mistaken you can hunt every day, if you could hunt elk 4 days a year how would your success run? an elk hunt for me would be at the most 1 week, after I used a weeks vacation, bought all the license and tags required, would you look down on me if I shot an elk at 500 yards? not because I'm not a hunter, but because I'm out of my element and am doing the best I can do to be successful?
RR
RR
First off let me say I don't look down on anybody. Especially, hunters. Even if I don't agree with what someone does. I don't look down on the person. Who am I to look down on anybody?

All hunting takes some skills. Even if you take a brand new hunter, and put him in a tree stand. He still needs some skills to kill an animal. The more you hunt. The more skills you develop. It's all good.

Yes, I can hunt everyday now, but let me give you some history if it won't bore you to death. As i've mentioned I was born, and brought up in Mass. My dad was an avid hunter. He saw I had an interest in it, and started to teach me at a very young age. He had one method to hunt, and it was still hunting. He felt it was the most exciting way to hunt, and the most fair to the animal. Fair to the animal was driven into to me. We put ourselves on the ground with no scents, no calls, and no scopes. We wanted to beat the animals on their terms with all their sense working. As a youngster I was like every other kid. I just wanted to get a kill. Over time his way sunk in, and I began to think like him. As a human with a gun. We have a huge advantage over the animal. My dad felt we shouldn't have any other advantages. I feel the same way now.
When I was still young we started off to move to California. When we went though the Colorado Rockies I was jumping up and down to move there instead of California. I could see my dad was thinking the same thing, but didn't say anything. My mom was dead set on CA. Later my dad pulled me aside, and told me he promised we would go to Colorado every year to hunt. That satisfied me. He kept his promise, and we came to Colorado every year to hunt for elk. We hunted for deer in Ca., and sometimes in Co, but mostly we hunted for elk in Co. In all the hunting we did together, no matter where it was. Our method of hunting never changed. It was a learning process for both of us, but no matter where we were, or what we hunted for. We got still hunting to work. My dad was the best hunter i've ever known, and I couldn't have had a better mentor. He passed away in 86, and i've hunted alone since then. I moved to Colorado, and I hunt in his honor, with his method of hunting, and his teaching of being as fair to the animal as possible. It's ingrained in me now, and I couldn't do it any other way now. If I seem too opinionated I apologize, but I can't help myself. It's who I am now.