HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hello will a single shot 12 gauge be an efficient hunter on whitetails?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

This single shot, smooth bore will do fine for deer out to around 75-100 yards.

You'll be restricted to using a "rifled slug". These have been around for decades. They usually come in 5-packs. I suggest that you try two different ones to see if one of the two will group better than the other.

The issues with the rifled slugs are that generally they do not group all that well and theydefinitely slow down rapidly due to their poor aerodynamics. The arc is rather dramatic ... so pratctice at say 25-50-75-100 yards to get a feel for where you will need to aim at these distances.

As for a scope .... I cannot think of how a scope can be safely mounted to this H&R break action shot gun. It was not made for use with a scope. The barrel would have to be tapped near the breech and I cannot imagine how that could be safely done. And it would run probably $50-$75 anyway. Plus a mount set ... another $20 - $35.

If you clould find a better type of open sight.... say a front and rear set, that should suffice if your eyesight is OK,.

Last edited by Mojotex; 10-06-2013 at 07:39 AM.