HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - fouling shot?????
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You don't have any guns that are accurate on a clean barrel?
I suspect that almost any rifle shot on a clean barrel will have a different POI then the same rifle shot on a fouled barrel. The question lies in "How Much Difference Is There?" Were one to lock a rifle in a vice, and test it, clean VS fouled at a great distance, one might see a true difference. But then you have to ask.. was the difference caused by clean VS foul, or did you load it the second time, just a little different.

Yes I have rifles that are so very close, clean or fouled that it makes little if any difference. Then I have a Knight LK II that is almost two inches between the two variants.

But I find at the ranges I encounter, being very close, the closer the shot the less of a variance in two POI. But for instance, I know that my Black Diamond XR is a long range rifle. And if I want to be more assured of shot to shot accuracy for instance when I hunt a hay field, where the shot might be 100 yards or more.. why take a chance of clean VS fouled. It easier for me to foul the rifle, hunt with it all day, and at the end of the day, like I do with all my rifle.. fire it off, take it home and clean it.