HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - AR Hunting Platform
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Primitive Weapon
The ballistics I looked up listed the .458 socom at 2150fps for a 250gr load.

Even if that data is wrong, it makes no difference to me as I love the .450 and the fact that Hornady makes the ammo and not having to rely on reloads is very comforting.

Nothing against reloads but they are only has good as the reloader. I don't reload myself so I would have to rely on someone else.

I am sure that someone good at reloading could make the .450 round hotter than the 2200fps Hornady ammo and I say good for them.

Here's another link of a company that manufactuers .458 ammo. Their muzzle velocities are no where near 2200fps....except for their 100gr load.

http://www.sbrammunition.com/458sl.html
Manufacturers for recently developed, essentially 'factory wildcat' rounds like the SOCOM have a tendency to under-load, better to CYA than get one lawsuit on a low volume, new product.

2200fps happens in the Socom, and it does pretty well exceed the performance of the Bushy. Not a huge lag, not necessarily enough to make it worth selling one for the other FROM A BALLISTICS STANDPOINT...

BUT...

The .452" pistol bullets of the Bushy put it at a huge disadvantage behind the .458" rifle bullets of the Socom. There's only so much that a .452" weakly constructed PISTOL bullet meant to expand at ~700-1000fps MV can handle. Sure, it's going to kill deer, but there's a lot of wasted energy when a bullet essentially fails from weak construction, and in all fairness, a lot of wasted meat.

So, really, if you're buying new off the rack, the .458 S runs away from the .450 as a big game rifle. If you OWN a .450 B, it'll treat you just fine as long as you understand the limitations of the ammo/bullet you're using.