HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Successful Colorado hunt!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 PM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

Default Successful Colorado hunt!

Went hunting last week in Colorado with my brother-in-law and we both were successful. I had a cow muzzy tag and he had an either sex elk bow tag.
One word for the hunt: rain!! Rained on us from Friday through the next wednesday. My first opportunity came on Sunday when I called up a bull with his harem. 6x6 bull stepped out first, bugling to his cows which followed as they moved up hill feeding. Had a great sitting position with shooting sticks holding up my gun and a cow stepped out at 60 yards. Thought I had "kept my powder dry" on my T/C renegade, but when I pulled the trigger, the #11 cap just went "pop", sending the elk running up hill. Total misfire!
The next morning, I got above another bull with his cows and this time a cow stepped out at 80 yards. One shot did her in. 90 gr of fffg 777 and a Hornady 350 gr FPB bullet.Fast forward to Thursday morning, the first day without all day rain. Went out to call for my hunting partner on a cold, clear morning. First called up a small 4 point bull. Came in to 15 yards, but wind swirled as he was about to exit the brush. We went 1/4 mile further uphill and begin calling again. Soon another bull's bugles were getting closer and he set up 80 yards in front of me. I could not see what happened, suddendly the bull ran from near my friend to 60 yards from me and just looked around. I though he was just spooked, but after about 30 seconds, he just tipped over backwards! He ran all of 50 yards and went down! Nice 5x5.
Attached Images