Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Successful Colorado hunt! >

Successful Colorado hunt!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Successful Colorado hunt!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Successful Colorado hunt!

Went hunting last week in Colorado with my brother-in-law and we both were successful. I had a cow muzzy tag and he had an either sex elk bow tag.
One word for the hunt: rain!! Rained on us from Friday through the next wednesday. My first opportunity came on Sunday when I called up a bull with his harem. 6x6 bull stepped out first, bugling to his cows which followed as they moved up hill feeding. Had a great sitting position with shooting sticks holding up my gun and a cow stepped out at 60 yards. Thought I had "kept my powder dry" on my T/C renegade, but when I pulled the trigger, the #11 cap just went "pop", sending the elk running up hill. Total misfire!
The next morning, I got above another bull with his cows and this time a cow stepped out at 80 yards. One shot did her in. 90 gr of fffg 777 and a Hornady 350 gr FPB bullet.Fast forward to Thursday morning, the first day without all day rain. Went out to call for my hunting partner on a cold, clear morning. First called up a small 4 point bull. Came in to 15 yards, but wind swirled as he was about to exit the brush. We went 1/4 mile further uphill and begin calling again. Soon another bull's bugles were getting closer and he set up 80 yards in front of me. I could not see what happened, suddendly the bull ran from near my friend to 60 yards from me and just looked around. I though he was just spooked, but after about 30 seconds, he just tipped over backwards! He ran all of 50 yards and went down! Nice 5x5.
Attached Thumbnails Successful Colorado hunt!-2013-colorado-hunt-064.jpg   Successful Colorado hunt!-2013-colorado-hunt-067.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats txhunter. I like a rainy day hunt. But five days of rain would be a bit much. Glad you made meat.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations on your success and your perseverance.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Sounded like a great hunt
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on a good hunt.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice hunt.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted the picture with the arrow still in because it was interesting. We both thought it showed that he didn't get good penetration with his arrow, but what accually happened is that the arrow penetrated both lungs and impacted the shoulder blade on the far side and bounced back. The bull seemed to be looking around like "what just happened" for about 30 seconds and then just fell over. Pretty humane kill if you ask me.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, if you notice it shows today's technology. In the picture with the meat he is texting his wife that he got his bull! She bowhunts too, but was unable to come this year.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

congrats good shooting
Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the kill!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.