HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - That Quick Second Shot
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 04:48 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

I've only ever truly needed a quick reloaded one time. I shot at a pretty nice buck that was following a doe hard (probably 50yds away)... and since I was dead on him, I figured I nailed him. Anyhow, he ran towards and past me and stopped about 20yds behind me in a small patch of pines. He showed no sign of being hit while he ran, and since he was just standing there, I figured I had to of missed. I quickly got my speed loader out, loaded up and got off my second shot. He dropped in his tracks. Turned out, the first shot went right through one lung, and out the offside through the liver. Only thing I could figure is he was all jacked up from chasing, and didn't even know he was hit. He was probably on his feet about 1.5 minutes total from my first shot to my second. Standing there dead basically. LOL. Beyond that, its all been one shot opportunities.

Now...a few years ago, a buddy of mine who's not much of a hunter honestly... he shot a doe and dropped it. Within about 30 seconds, along comes a nice buck nose to ground and runs right to her laying there. My friend reloads, fires and misses. Buck stands there over top the dead doe. He reloads, misses again. Reloads again, misses again. This was about 40yds broadside, wide open with an open sight Hawken .50. The buck never moved after being shot at 3 times. My friend was out of loads and could only just watch. Deer hung around the dead doe for several more minutes before finally moving on. We still ride him about this one, and ironically...that doe was his last ML kill. I think all that missing from buck fever took it out of him