HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - That Quick Second Shot
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by freebirdfb
If a quick reload is desired, a pistol or revolver (depending on your states law) would be the easiest method. I can't think of a time in my life where I needed a quick reload, even when carrying my 30-30.
I seriously doubt that will EVER be allowed here in PA. I've tried some of the so called "speed-loaders" over the years and found them to be worthless for the most part. Not that I have missed or wounded a bunch of deer and felt that they were a necessity, it was more of a "How fast can I reload and shoot again" mindset. I would take them out and try to see how fast I could load and shoot an aimed shot off with them. Trying to get a quick second shot off at a paper target is not the same as trying to get a quick second shot off at a deer. The margin for error is much narrower so to speak. The only time that I needed a quick second shot was when I tried to shoot a deer from an awkward position because it came in where I wasn't expecting it and when I squeezed the shot off, I immediately knew I missed because the deer trotted a few steps and then stood there looking around as if it was wondering where the noise came from. I was setting on the ground and I reloaded from the position I was sitting in and I soon found out that it's more difficult than I thought it would be. By the time I got a load down and was primed and ready, the deer had moved to where I no longer had a clear shot. In my opinion, the best option you have is to make the first shot count! If I hit a deer with my muzzleloader and it doesn't go down within a short distance, I keep my eye on it the best I can while I methodically reload with a premeasured charge and a prelubed conical or patched roundball in a loading block and then re-prime with a capper or pan charger depending on what I'm hunting with.

BPS