HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What would you do, Mr. Deer Hunter?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM
North22
Spike

Hey guys,

First of all, this is definitely question from some narrow-minded, anti-hunting, bambi saving, tree hugging type. But I don't care what people like that think because they don't understand what we do and why we do it. They just don't get it and never will. They will never even attempt to try to understand so I choose to not worry one iota what they think...

But on to the question. It is difficult to answer honestly based on the info. It doesn't all add up to me. It is pretty unlikely that 30 minutes before legal shooting a hunter could see well enough to ethically take this shot. Maybe under absolutely perfect conditions though, I suppose. The bigger question to me is, "Is this a safe shot?" Can you see clearly enough to make an effective kill shot? If it is, I guess I don't have a huge issue with it. It would be pretty tough to not take that shot. I'm not saying it's right, but if I'm honest with myself, I don't know that I pass - if it's light enough to take a safe shot. I'd like to say I would pass, but if I can see the animal as clearly as it is described, I might shoot. Again, this might be a pretty far-fetched example, it just doesn't all add up. The description eludes to seeing the antlers clearly and even seeing the steam from it's nose. I hunt in the north and have seen steam from a deers nose. You cannot see it if it is dark. It is unlikely that you see this much detail this early. But with snow on the ground, clear skies, the sun just over the horizon, and a full moon, I guess maybe. But anyway, I draw a big distinction between shooting an animal a few minutes prior to shooting time (or a few minutes after) and poaching an animal. I wouldn't consider this person a poacher.

To those that say this is poaching and claim to stick to the letter of the law to a T - I wonder if it was 5 minutes before shooting, would you take the shot? How about 1 minute? or 30 seconds? Based on the arguments I heard earlier, you would consider yourself a poacher for shooting this animal 10 seconds before legal shooting. What if 1 minute after legal shooting time you see this deer? I've even been hunting under adverse conditions -thick snow (also thick fog), overcast, no moon, and didn't feel right about taking a shot during legal shooting hours. I'm just curious what some thoughts are on this.

Lastly, we need to back off the name calling a bit. Here's same PETA moron coming on here and getting us all riled up at one another. We should be getting on Canadian Newsfairy's case, not each other.