HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 11:43 AM
snapper1982
Banned

Originally Posted by bghunter777
I feel you speek from opinion and little expierience I have shot many turkeys w Hevi shot 5 I think most would agree a pretty high energy pellet at all ranges from 15-55 and have seen them shot out to 75. Turkey feathers and wings do an amazing job at keeping the majority of these pellets out of the breast when you aim for the neck. I think a much greater chance or ruining the breast would be on a closer shot where your point of aim is a little low. From my expierience with modern chokes and shot it is rare to find more than a few pellets in the breast at any range.

If we get in to TSS or the micro high energy shots you may have a valid point as I have heard those shots due to size penetrate feathers quite nicely. But have not shot them personally.

Also if one has the equipment the ethically take a turkey at say 50 yards who are you guys to judge them or accuse them of being less of a hunter or taking the enjoyment out. Not everyone goes by your rules! and would it be possible they enjoy their hunt just as much as you.

No one gets on a forum and tears people up for being outdated stuck in the past hunters who are to cheap to invest in a weapon that shoots past 30 yards. A guy may choose to take a gun capable of shooting a turkey at 50 yards and he may choose to even use that weapon it does not make him less of a hunter.
nor does it mean that he will use said "weapon" to shoot past the golden 40 yards. heck there are guys that carry 30 caliber rifles for deer and they do not shoot past 100 yards even though their choosen weapon could shoot many times that distance if they wanted to.

very few pellets strike breast. I would rather cut a few pellets out of the breast than spend hours looking for a bird that is wounded.