HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - indian creek choke black diamond
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Brad C.
Fork Horn

bghunter777,

Let's be honest here. Your post #16 is directly related to your other thread you started that Todd and I tried to and I don't know the right words to use here without you taking as an attack, explain to you about using larger shot at extreme ranges and why that it's not a better choice than using 7's, and that it's not a wise thing to try to count on one of those larger 5's by pure luck finding it's mark to kill a turkey at 60yds or farther. Now we can keep going on like this for days, weeks, or months about who is right and who is wrong. All I wish for you to do when you get the time is to do some reading on turkey hunting forums, Old Gobbler is one of the best, about what we tried to get you to understand about using 5's is ok until you start losing your pattern with them, and you will lose your pattern very quickly once you get to 50yds. Then what you gained in kinetic energy or ft/lbs by using them is no longer an advantage but a disadvantage. So instead of shooting Hevi-13 5's and counting on luck at say 50yds to find a shot that can hit the small vitals of a turkey the 7's will give you multiple hits in the vital areas from a good shotgun and choke combo of course. It's just a game of simple math. The more shot in a pattern the more multiple hits you will have in a given area with the better odds of hitting what your wanting to hit. So I like stacking the odds in my favor. And I know the 7's will easily hit vertebrae at 50yds out of both my turkey guns. But remember this at Old Gobbler, Shannon, the owner has a strict policy of keeping the longer shots past 40yds to yourself.

Now I will kindly tell you that I honestly don't think your a bad guy. And I hope you don't hate Todd and I for what we said to you. Some were only remarks in response to your replies. We could go on with this back and forth trying to get you to understand what we said, and I do think you do understand that relying on luck instead of relying on sheer numbers is the better means of killing a turkey at farther ranges. And I also think you understand about posting about longer shots of what I said in your Hevi-Shot is impressive thread and just keep that to yourself. But I do hope that Todd and I get you and maybe your friends by you talking to them in the future to realize that they truly got lucky on the long range shots if it truly was at the ranges you stated. Now please don't take that as an attack.

I will hope that you take the time to read more up on what guys that truly are in to the education of patterning different guns, chokes, and loads, and taking the time to see what even works better than maybe what they were using. I don't pattern near as much as I used to, but I still enjoy tring to keep up with it. And trust me it is an education process of doing all the things that these guys do to compare the guns, chokes, and loads that they do. Some even reload their own shells using Hevi-Shot or TSS. I know you said your busy man, and I respect that. But you seem to like turkey hunting as much as anyone. And I do respect that. I wish you well in your future hunting. And who knows maybe by you doing some further research and reading on other turkey hunting forums that maybe one day you too will become more a pattterning nut like a lot of the other guys that are out there. And who knows if you do yo might even start shooting Hevi-13 7's or the Federal Heavyweight 7's in the future. Then you can truly look back on all this using Hevi-13 5's and just smile.

Last edited by Brad C.; 05-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.