HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 AM
bghunter777
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Psylocide
Not sure I follow that logic at all.

-If some hunters don't take shots at turkeys out past 40 yards

-Then, any 12ga turkey load will kill a turkey 100% of the time

Is this regardless of distance? Shot placement? Unobstructed shooting lane? Pattern, etc.?
If a hunter sets a personal limitation of 40 yards then the load or shot size he chooses is irrelavant all modern 12 gauge turkey loads will kill a turkey 100% of the time at 40 yards and and in. I spend 40 dollar a box or more for hevi shot to shoot past 40 yards. If I hit a turkey with 75 pellets or 175 pellets at 30 yards the result is identical.

My logic was 5 shot kills a turkey just as dead at 30-40 yards as 7 shot. but if by chance you misjudge a distance by 10 yards wouldnt you rather have the full load of the larger shot size.

If your limit is truly 40 yards save your money and buy some Wally world Remington Nitro lead #6s they will kill every turkey just as dead as any of the high dollar loads at close range. My point was simply I thought many turkey hunters where going to these specialized loads to give them that extra 10 yards or bail them out on a misjudged yardage. Using this logic small shot ie #7 is adding little value to the load.