HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 AM
bghunter777
Fork Horn

Default Why use #7 shot or have it in a blend?

I understand that #7 shot spreads out slightly faster but personally I don't want it in my shotgun for turkeys. Any load on the market will kill a turkey out to 40 yards with todays guns arent we using the high dollar shell to give us that extra 5-10 yards? If I am shooting a bird at 50 + yards I want the full alotment of 4s 5s or 6s my personal choice is 5 hevi shot. 7 shot is not helping your load at all out past 40 or so yards simply doesnt retain the KE. you can put 200 pellets in the neck at 30 yards thats great but 75 does the same thing. I see so many guys going to the Magnum Blends or str8 7 shot based solely on patterns and thinking little about the energy behind that smaller shot this seems like your not making your set up any more lethal and actually less lethal at longer ranges. I would rather have 2oz of #5s than 1 0z of 5s and 1 oz of 7s based on the principal of the 7 shot is doing nothing beyond 40-50 yards and your now relying on less of the larger shot to still pattern well.