HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting - Where to Begin?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Psylocide
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HogNDog
Hey guys,

I would like to get involved in hog hunting in the future. My questions here are how do I get involved in hog hunting? Where do I start? What do I need to know before getting involved in hog hunting?

I would also like to get involved in other forms of hunting like deer, bird and duck. How does one get himself involved in hunting?
First place to start would be to decide what you're going to use to hunt... rifle? Shotgun?

If you want to hunt ducks/birds/deer (if shotgun deer is legal in your state) then you might want to start with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Next, you'll have to read up on the hunting regulations for your state... look for public hunting grounds or go door to door asking for permission to hunt. If you have a friend or relative with land they'll let you on, even better.

A lot of your time will be spent locating game and gaining access to private land or scouting public areas.

You could also try the regional forums and see if there is anyone in your area that would be willing to help you out... it's always worth a shot. If you know anyone that hunts, don't be afraid to ask them to show you the ropes. Some will help, some won't... but you won't know if you don't try.

Originally Posted by HogNDog
How long must one stick with one form of hunting before moving onto another and learning another? What is the best type of hunting to start with for a beginner?
Try them all if you can! No reason to stick to one for a set period of time, get out in nature and try your luck. All you've got to lose is time and a little gas money... but time spent hunting is never lost time at all.