Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hunting - Where to Begin?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Spike

Default Hunting - Where to Begin?

Hey guys,

I would like to get involved in hog hunting in the future. My questions here are how do I get involved in hog hunting? Where do I start? What do I need to know before getting involved in hog hunting?

I would also like to get involved in other forms of hunting like deer, bird and duck. How does one get himself involved in hunting?

How long must one stick with one form of hunting before moving onto another and learning another? What is the best type of hunting to start with for a beginner?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start with door to door visits. Prove you killed some hogs.
After that your good to go.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HogNDog
Hey guys,

I would like to get involved in hog hunting in the future. My questions here are how do I get involved in hog hunting? Where do I start? What do I need to know before getting involved in hog hunting?

I would also like to get involved in other forms of hunting like deer, bird and duck. How does one get himself involved in hunting?
First place to start would be to decide what you're going to use to hunt... rifle? Shotgun?

If you want to hunt ducks/birds/deer (if shotgun deer is legal in your state) then you might want to start with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Next, you'll have to read up on the hunting regulations for your state... look for public hunting grounds or go door to door asking for permission to hunt. If you have a friend or relative with land they'll let you on, even better.

A lot of your time will be spent locating game and gaining access to private land or scouting public areas.

You could also try the regional forums and see if there is anyone in your area that would be willing to help you out... it's always worth a shot. If you know anyone that hunts, don't be afraid to ask them to show you the ropes. Some will help, some won't... but you won't know if you don't try.

Originally Posted by HogNDog
How long must one stick with one form of hunting before moving onto another and learning another? What is the best type of hunting to start with for a beginner?
Try them all if you can! No reason to stick to one for a set period of time, get out in nature and try your luck. All you've got to lose is time and a little gas money... but time spent hunting is never lost time at all.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Spike

Thank ya'll for all of the information. Does anyone have any good book recommendations on different types of hunting?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a hog hunter here, but I can give you some generalized suggestions. Previous responses are mostly correct. Not real sure what is meant by going door to door and proving you have killed hogs to gain access.?.?.

I didn't act on it, but with a bit of research and a couple calls to the US Army Corps of Engineers, I ended up talking to a site manager at a public park in Missouri that has hogs. If you find the right public employee in your state of choice, he or she will help.

If you do not have friends or family that will help which I suspect you don't since you are on the www asking complete strangers what to do, then learn the rules by studying your State's regulations, find some public ground, and go. Join a shooting club. Search locally for opportunities. I wouldn't go knocking on doors in your situation as you have no clue about hunting. A landowner may read right through your "greenness".

I started with small game such as rabbits, squirrel, and dove.

Buy yourself a Remington Model 870 or 11-87. Both are good shotguns which with a few modifications (barrels, chokes, and ammunition) can arguably kill any game animal in North America.

Again, search local for help. Get in the woods even without a gun.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just go to my blind and shoot whatever come in.. I killed several hogs this year deer hunting. I'm going turkey hunting this week and I hope I don't see one of those nasty corn buzzards.. I'm hoping I see a pig. I'm just taking my bow and my pistol.

Our ranch has deer, hogs, turkeys, badgers, yotes, foxes, bob cats, coons, and a few feral donkeys that are soon going to die if they don't go away, they came in last Dec. and someone just let them go due to the drought, but I'm about to see what donkey taste like if they keep hitting my feeder. Can't be all that bad with a few beers. , I've had horse meat, and it's good, so a donkey can't be all that bad.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
I just go to my blind and shoot whatever come in.. I killed several hogs this year deer hunting. I'm going turkey hunting this week and I hope I don't see one of those nasty corn buzzards.. I'm hoping I see a pig. I'm just taking my bow and my pistol.

Our ranch has deer, hogs, turkeys, badgers, yotes, foxes, bob cats, coons, and a few feral donkeys that are soon going to die if they don't go away, they came in last Dec. and someone just let them go due to the drought, but I'm about to see what donkey taste like if they keep hitting my feeder. Can't be all that bad with a few beers. , I've had horse meat, and it's good, so a donkey can't be all that bad.
Well, if you ever need help getting rid of those "nasty turkeys..."

Cool to hear you own a ranch out there... that's got to be nice.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

First of all HogNDog where are you from? It would help to know so that we can determine what kind of game are in your area. I don't hunt polar bears in Texas.....
Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Spike

The Rev, I live in Tennessee.

Originally Posted by The Rev
First of all HogNDog where are you from? It would help to know so that we can determine what kind of game are in your area. I don't hunt polar bears in Texas.....
Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
asm
Spike

I am in a similar situation as HogNDog. I live in GA and I am looking for ways to get started. I have experience with firearms and I have done some training as well (gun safety, hunting). Any information on local resources, tips, etc. is very welcome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.