HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 204 Ruger for Coyotes
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
I remember going out for predator . It was easy in the old days when you just used an ol' deer rifle.
That makes the assumption that you're a deer hunter and coyote hunting is an after thought, so sure, just use your deer rifle...

I spend a lot more time holding my coyote rifle and a lot more time putting fur in the dirt than I do holding a deer rifle or putting meat in the freezer. We get 10days a year for deer (rifle), 365.25days a year for coyotes. I have 5 or 6 dedicated deer rifles. I have a dozen coyote rifles. Deer hunting is my "after thought".

I spent a lot of time hunting coyotes with my "ol' deer rifle", a .30-06, when I was young and only had one rifle. I grew up calling coyotes with a .22WMR, a .22-250, or a .22 Hornet of my dad's and grandpa's. Then I got old enough, got my own rifle, and needed a single "do-all" cartridge, hence the .30-06.

Then I spent a few years leaving trashed coyotes lay, or wasting time stitching holes in hides to get decent price at market.

Then I realized, deer rifles suck for coyotes.

Originally Posted by Valentine
Why things are so specialized I hear a company has a special bullet in a .22 LR round that can be used for coyotes. Dang, I have one of those ol' rifles. For 100 yard shots in the woods, I'd only have to buy bullets.
I'm not sure if this is serious, or mocking, but I really hope you're joking. I have taken dozens of coyotes with a .22lr (guessing still under 100, maybe not?), there ain't a bullet made that can make a .22lr a 100yrd coyote weapon.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 03-28-2013 at 09:13 AM.