HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Closed out the season by breaking the curse on my TC Encore
Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 AM
ADVWannabee
Typical Buck

Default Closed out the season by breaking the curse on my TC Encore

I bought my wife a TC Encore Pro Hunter three years ago and she missed two bucks with it over the last 2 seasons. I missed a coyote with it last year. But I finally broke the curse on it this year by tagging a 6 pointer.

It was raining in the morning so my father-in-law and I didn't go until the afternoon. It was cold, below 30* f, and windy. There was a fine sleeting like snow as well. I had a doe come out and browse the field I was hunting for about an hour.

Finally, just at dark, I look down the fence line and see a deer coming out of the woods. He crawled under the fence and though I couldn't see his antlers I knew he was a buck. He came out into the field a little ways and was nervous about my blind. I should really brush it in some.

He gave me a picture perfect broadside shot at 63 yards as measured by my GPS after the shot. I tried to use my shooting sticks but he was looking at me so I left sticks alone. I got the gun cocked, raised it and dropped the hammer. Somehow I hit him a little high. I didn't hit the backbone but it did ruin some of the backstrap. He dropped in his tracks.

I used 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets and a 250 grain Hornady SST bullet. The bullet did its job with a good entry and exit wound.

I hit both my deer poorly this year so I need to get to the range before next season. I am use to hitting a deer right where I want to.

All in all, I had a great season and got the two largest bodied deer I have ever gotten and the one in rifle season had the largest antlers so far.

This was my setup though this pic was from when I got my 8 ptr in gun season. I was hunting the same blind in the same field.

Note the broken main beam: