Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Closed out the season by breaking the curse on my TC Encore >

Closed out the season by breaking the curse on my TC Encore

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Closed out the season by breaking the curse on my TC Encore

Old 01-02-2013, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Closed out the season by breaking the curse on my TC Encore

I bought my wife a TC Encore Pro Hunter three years ago and she missed two bucks with it over the last 2 seasons. I missed a coyote with it last year. But I finally broke the curse on it this year by tagging a 6 pointer.

It was raining in the morning so my father-in-law and I didn't go until the afternoon. It was cold, below 30* f, and windy. There was a fine sleeting like snow as well. I had a doe come out and browse the field I was hunting for about an hour.

Finally, just at dark, I look down the fence line and see a deer coming out of the woods. He crawled under the fence and though I couldn't see his antlers I knew he was a buck. He came out into the field a little ways and was nervous about my blind. I should really brush it in some.

He gave me a picture perfect broadside shot at 63 yards as measured by my GPS after the shot. I tried to use my shooting sticks but he was looking at me so I left sticks alone. I got the gun cocked, raised it and dropped the hammer. Somehow I hit him a little high. I didn't hit the backbone but it did ruin some of the backstrap. He dropped in his tracks.

I used 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets and a 250 grain Hornady SST bullet. The bullet did its job with a good entry and exit wound.

I hit both my deer poorly this year so I need to get to the range before next season. I am use to hitting a deer right where I want to.

All in all, I had a great season and got the two largest bodied deer I have ever gotten and the one in rifle season had the largest antlers so far.

This was my setup though this pic was from when I got my 8 ptr in gun season. I was hunting the same blind in the same field.

Note the broken main beam:

Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Nicely done, broken horns makes a better/unusual display.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice going ADV. Congratulations. Any shot that drops them on the spot is a good shot.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the deer. He looks like he's got Harry Potter's wand stuck in his head..

The rifle might actually be dead on. I am always surprised at how more difficult it becomes to shoot groups or targets without a solid rest. Which is where I need practice also.

But you have good venison to eat. And that's the best part.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats way to go to end the season for you.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

great deer.....sweet
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Shooting skills are a perishable art and range time is a must. Taking shots unsupported is very difficult and one that needs more then the average practice. I am like the rest who think they need more rand time taking those unrested, unsupported shots.

Nice buck and one that will taste well. Well done my friend!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

very nice congratulations

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats

My blind doesn't show up quite that well.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
Congratulations on the deer. He looks like he's got Harry Potter's wand stuck in his head..

The rifle might actually be dead on. I am always surprised at how more difficult it becomes to shoot groups or targets without a solid rest. Which is where I need practice also.

But you have good venison to eat. And that's the best part.
X2 Great looking deer nice character! Thats the biggie is getting use to shooting off rest. If you dont practice it you wont master it. I like to shoot 2 shots standing off hand, kneeling and sitting everytime I go to the range and shoot my ML just to keep the mechanics down.

Great deer and Congrats on breaking your curse! Your patients is rollmodel worthey

Niccum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.