HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking to begin hunting - need a rifle recommendation
Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 PM
themrkik
Spike

Default Looking to begin hunting - need a rifle recommendation

Hello All:

I am looking to get into hunting next season and I am in the market for a good rifle to purchase. Most of my experience is in short range quick reactionary competitions which is usually pistol and assault rifles.

Since I'm new to this side of rifles, I wanted to come to the experts for advise. Here is some information on what I am looking for (but I am willing to adapt to recommendations) and my experiences:

The things I'd like in a rifle is: magazine loaded, bolt action, light weight, good recoil control, and picatinny rail system for inter-changeable scope mounting (if available).

Since my experiences are typically in the semi-automatic weapons I know I might be off on what is ideal for hunting, so I am open to feedback. For example I'm use to wanting a lighter weapon because the semi-automatic function eats a lot of the kick (if built right) to allow controlled firing, so less weight is ideal. But in a bolt-action I heard it's actually better to have a some weight to manage control during firing.

I am looking to get into deer hunting for sure, but the potential to go to bigger game could grow if I really get into the sport (I live in PA). So I am thinking .308 is a good caliber since it gives me power to grow into, but not over-kill for deer. Obviously a good scope recommendation is also welcomed.

I am not one to shy from putting money into a quality piece of equipment as long as the features pertain to my uses. So please don't shy from high price options if they really are worth the cost.

My last investment was a LaRue OBR assault rifle which to this day continues to amaze me in the quality of its performance. If they made bolt action hunting rifles I'd buy one today.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts - thank you.