HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pausing deer for the shot...
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Clevinger
Spike

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
I try not to stop them... I try to be patient and wait for a shot. I only stop them if they are running, or moving fast in heavy cover. You need to already have your bow drawn and be ready to take the shot when you stop him... The reason I try to wait is cause naturally deer will usually give you a good shot if you wait for it. However, some deer run when you do it. Especially old cagey bucks that have had everything in the book thrown at them over the years. You also put a deer on edge when you stop them. They stop cause something alerted them, this tenses them up, and they are far more likely to jump the string at the sound of your bow going off.
I have grunt stopped them, whisteled, and yelled "HEY" when they were running and could not hear a grunt or whistle. I personally don't think it matters what kind of noise you use.
Interesting.

Up to now I hadn't used it, but I was considering stopping them with noises in the future. I hadn't needed it yet, but there are scenarios where I thought I might, especially as I get into bow hunting (I mostly have rifle hunted).