Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pausing deer for the shot...

Old 12-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Spike

Default Pausing deer for the shot...

I've heard of guys mimicking a deer sound to get a deer to pause for the shot. What do you guys do? Forgive my ignorance, but is it an actual deer call you guys are using and if so does a certain sound seem better for getting them to stop and look?

Is it enough to just make a grunting sound with your mouth? Will they stop?

What is your recommendation?

Last edited by Clevinger; 12-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

i think just making a sound that is not uncommon to nature is the trick. I grunted in my buck this season while archery hunting, he was moving through some heavy cover that i did not have a shot in, there was one opening he was going to walk though at 27 yards, I had already put my call away so i had to make a sound to stop him for the the shot. The sound i make is me trying to grunt with my mouth but it sounds more like a cross between a hen mallard and a buck grunt lol, but it does the trick. I do this alot while archery hunting. A guy kinda has to when you have your release clamped onto the string and you are holding your bow. But i would not try to yell at the deer or whistle or any other sound that isnt common in the woods. And when you do make a sound, just make it loud enough to where they can barely hear, the last thing you want to do is put them on edge. They have more of a chance of jumping the string if they are cautious.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 12-25-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you get on youtube and look at some videos of guys hunting deer, you'll see some with people doing it. Most of the time they just make a grunt or guttural sound without a call.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have whistled and got them to stop. I have also had them run off faster when I tried to grunt at them but each deer and situation is different. good luck
Old 12-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
If you get on youtube and look at some videos of guys hunting deer, you'll see some with people doing it. Most of the time they just make a grunt or guttural sound without a call.
I've been on there and I've heard them doing it. I wasn't sure what they are using. To date, I haven't used any calls so I'm not real familiar with it.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

here is a good one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFWTRko28yk
Old 12-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
Thanks, that was really helpful and I hadn't seen it.

I couldn't tell what he was saying though. Was it like, "Bap?"

Is it supposed to mimick a bleat or something?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I try not to stop them... I try to be patient and wait for a shot. I only stop them if they are running, or moving fast in heavy cover. You need to already have your bow drawn and be ready to take the shot when you stop him... The reason I try to wait is cause naturally deer will usually give you a good shot if you wait for it. However, some deer run when you do it. Especially old cagey bucks that have had everything in the book thrown at them over the years. You also put a deer on edge when you stop them. They stop cause something alerted them, this tenses them up, and they are far more likely to jump the string at the sound of your bow going off.
I have grunt stopped them, whisteled, and yelled "HEY" when they were running and could not hear a grunt or whistle. I personally don't think it matters what kind of noise you use.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what it often sounds like. Or "Byeh". Or "Berp."

Honestly, as long as you don't stand up and shout "For the love of God, stop!" you're ok. An unusual noise they have to pause to pinpoint is about all thats needed.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Clevinger
Thanks, that was really helpful and I hadn't seen it.

Is it supposed to mimick a bleat or something?
yea, its kinda like a really low burp if that makes any sense lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.