HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trying to figure out how to do my first hunt
Old 12-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Clevinger
Spike

I don't know how to advise you on finding land, but I assume there are public land opportunities there. Here is my general advice for whitetail bucks, and I have no doubt there are people better than me on here who will chime in:

1. Find what they eating, which is where they will be overnight generally.
2. Find where they are bedding (usually thickest part of woods), which is where they head early in the morning. Deer, especially in high pressure/population areas, tend to stay down by day in bedding.
3. Use google earth and then on-foot scouting to find ambush points between food and bedding sources.
4. The ideal ambush point is a funnel. There are many examples, but basically it is a narrow piece of land that provides cover for them traveling to and from bedding/food. Because it is narrow, it "funnels" them through a restricted area where you know they'll be and can intercept them. A classic example would be a narrow strip of trees running through fields and connecting two sections of thicker forest. There are endless examples, but funnels simply help narrow your choices for ambush points. Deer take the path of least resistance that still provides them cover...
5. Don't feel like you have to have a tree stand. I think natural ground blinds are very effective too. I prefer them and they are cheap.
6. Deer use vision and hearing obviously to look out for predators, but smell is probably the most important factor. Use scent-free detergents, etc and scent free soaps on yourself to reduce your scents as much as possible. Beyond that, play the wind. You never want the wind to your back because essentially it is blowing your scent in the direction you are hoping deer will come from.
7. Don't overhunt spots, as deer will figure you out and avoid that area.
8. Be patient, and arrive earlier in the morning than you think you need to so you are position as they return from feeding.

Anyone else?

Last edited by Clevinger; 12-23-2012 at 12:06 PM.