HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - which rifle?
Thread: which rifle?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Remnard
Typical Buck

You will get as many opinions as you get responses here!. The 25-06 is a great Antelope gun, but will you hunt them enough to justify buying a gun solely for that purpose? The 280 is a great cart. also, but loaded ammo is getting harder to find. 7mm-08 will do everything the 280 will do and even more than the 25-06. The 25-06 is limited in bullet weight, 120 being the max. it takes just 1 large whitetaillost to change ones opinion about its versatility. you have a greater range in bullet weight and use with the 7mm-08. its a short action cartridge that is easy to load yourself if you are inclined to do so. Lots of projectiles available. I wouldn't hesitate harvesting an Elk with the 7mm-08. Not so with the 25-06.

If your goal is strictly an Antelope gun, with some prairie dogs and some coyotes mixed in after the Antelope is down, you can't go wrong with the 25-06!

As far as manufacturers, there's a wide variey out there. Heavy tubes are great for accuracy but suck for long walks/stalks. Many of the guns available today carry lightweight barrels that shoot as straight as some of the heavy barrels. I have a Rem MTN rifle in 7x57 mauser (quite close to the 7mm-08 ballistically) I took an Antelope with in 1996 at 385 yards. It shoots 1" groups all day. That was loaded with a 120 grain speer BT, which is on the low end weight wise for 7mm, that would be about max with the 25-06.

Browning, Savage, Wincehester,Weatherby Thompson all make good production rifles. Pay attention to the safety style they all offer and make sure the one you buy fits you well and points well for you.

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect gun, and the perfect Antelope!