HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you attract deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM
remdog64
Spike

I wouldn’t waste my money on lures, attractants or any of the other gimmicks that are out there. It makes me made to see these guys on TV telling you this magic poison will get you a giant deer. I have never seen any of what I would call the top whitetail hunters use and of these gimmicks. What I do is hunt smart, improve deer habitat and put in food plots.

I put in food plot as a way to get deer to stop on their way to the large farm field that surrounds me. I plant clover, chicory, alfalfa and turnips. By planting these four plots I have food all years for the deer. I use trail cameras to tract movement on my food plots and to get an idea of what kind of deer I will be hunting in the fall. You have to us trail cameras to your advantage not the deer’s. I used to put cameras on trails in the wood but I have found that if I use them to follow deer to and from the food plots I don’t have to go in the woods and spread my scent around. This is part of hunting smart. One of the other things I do is don’t over hunt stands. I set some for early season, some for the rut and some for late season. But the biggest think is don’t hunt a stand if the wind is wrong. I also put in a lot of screening so I can get to my stand without being seen.

I hope this helps you out but remember there’s no magic lure of powder that’s going to bring every deer to you. You have to be a smart hunter to be consistently harvest nice deer.